Ambient Occlusion

Thanks to my animation professor, I found a cool plug-in for a more detailed, awesome looking render called ambient occlusion.  So, I slapped it onto my Dalek model and here’s the final result.  It makes a lot of the shadowing look more natural for a better render.

Advertisements

Exercise #2: Poster Prototyping

This week we had a brief overview of how to design a poster layout and the first two most important things to know about the poster you’re designing:

1. Who is the targeted demographic?
2. What is the context of the event/where the poster is placed?

Our first activity was to quickly design a poster for an event at the High Museum given a sheet with some information that was required to be included on it. We weren’t told what our time constraint was, so I ran out of time, but here’s the prototype I sketched up:

I wanted to highlight the fact that it took place at the High, because in my opinion, unless the name of the celebrity they’re hosting is bigger than the venue, the venue will bring in the crowd (especially if it’s a museum). Then I wanted to give it sort of a modern layout with some flare to mimic the personality of the museum. Again, I did run out of time and couldn’t include my ideas or fully realize it.

We were then told to go back to the drawing board and sketch up a SECOND poster prototype, but this time we could choose the information we were presenting. We had virtually no time to think or brainstorm, but just had to start sketching. The first thing that came to mind for me was doing a concert poster of a band I liked (and was familiar with). I chose to do daft punk and use the iconic helmet.

I was pretty pleased with the idea with this design because it uses some elements very familiar to the daft punk fanbase and I liked the idea of having the cities and venue names inside of the lit up squares on the helmet. I hope to recreate this poster better later on if we have to do a proper one for project.

Exercise #1: Drawing Your Neighbor

We did an exercise in class that was meant to help us gauge our creative freedom. Our task was to turn to our neighbor (or person across from us, in my case) and draw them in one minute. It didn’t matter how we drew them or how much of them we drew. After the minute ended, Ted from the video made a point of saying he heard a lot of apologies from the audience. He also mentioned that when children partook in this experiment, they felt no remorse whatsoever in depicting people in their own creative way. This was an interesting point to me, although I felt the same way in that I wasn’t ashamed or embarrassed of my product. The whole process was to teach us not to feel bound by our adult limitations or our thoughts of what a portrait “should be”.

Portrait of Bobby Blackburn